Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Milk Inspector calls.....

This photo is the Sepia Saturday prompt this week. We bloggers try to follow the theme, in some vague way, as a seed in our thoughts. Sepia Saturday provides bloggers with an opportunity to share their history through the medium of photographs. Historical photographs of any age or kind become the launchpad for explorations of family history, local history and social history in fact or fiction, poetry or prose, words or further images. Click here to learn more.


This man is an Australian milk inspector......

He condemns milk and is the scourge of the farmer
(Note: The muslin shoulder bag contains a personal maturing cheese he made some months ago and is keeping warm in his armpit. More detail and full recipe at http://agapakis.com/cheese.html where you will discover that m
any of the stinkiest cheeses are hosts to species of bacteria closely related to the bacteria responsible for the characteristic smells of human armpits or feet.


...and milk inspectors abound the world over........



Canadian




British

 ( John Cheese, formerly with the Ministry of Agriculture)



Belgian



USA

(Dairy Queen quality control)



Kosher

Mixtures of milk and meat (Hebrewבשר בחלב‎, basar bechalav, literally "meat in milk") are prohibited according to Jewish law. This dietary law, basic to kashrut, is based on a verse in the Book of Exodus, which forbids "boiling a (kid) goat in its mother's milk" (Source Wikipedia)




USA, Maryland

(former unemployed magician, re-trained)



China

(after removing all nutritious melamine for use as an additive for baby food, the milk is poured on the farmland)



Egypt

(Makes a well balanced cheese)




The Ultimate Inspector....

The well-known advertising slogan for Whiskas was "eight out of ten owners said their cat prefers it". After a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority, this had to be changed to "eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cat prefers it". (Wikipedia)
(But I really think my dear Bessie is a snob...Whiskas is twice the price of supermarket own brand !)



The end

19 comments:

  1. Since we're not crying over spilled milk, we can certainly laugh over it. I love when the people at Dairy Queen hand me my Blizzard upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great take on this week's prompt Nigel. Very informative and a chuckle or two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Belgians have the most picturesque pictures of milk inspectors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very enjoyable post Nigel. It's a nice change to take the promot and run off with a witty idea. Whoever would have thought it? John Cleese as a Milk Inspector!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this was just to fun, I have to put my comment down here and go back again. I just adore those dogs, so cute. Also, knowing our Dairy Queen that photo is true! You just pulled out all the best of joy here, something I was leaning too as well, and even closed with man's best friend, the cat drinking her milk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nigel, I'm only going to say this many times in my life - you are a funny funny man. Thank you. Loved John Cheese and the unemployed magician.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm at a loss for words, except to say that I have a suspicion that much of what comes from Dairy Queen and its equivalents worldwide is actually a by-product of the petroleum industry..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make an attempt to remove your comment when their lawyers contact me!

      Delete
  8. I may never eat cheese again! No, I will. But I love some of the cheeses with the strongest effluvia - Gorgonzola, Feta, & so on. I once sang a song entitled "Oh, That Gorgonzola Cheese" which is actually where I first saw & heard the word 'effluvia' which is so much fun to say. And sing. :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very enjoyable post which made me smile.

    That Belgian girl looks like she is getting a parking ticket. I doubt those little rocks either side of the wheel would stop the dogs if they saw a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wht an entertaining post, linked to the milk theme. My favourite photo - that form Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Armpits and cheeses? oh... Ultimate inspector! I agree :) The Belgian photo looks charming. I love it.

    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like others, I'm stuck on the armpits and feet comment -- suddenly cheese doesn't look so good! Our milk inspector (dairy farm in Maine) was an absolute hoot: the kids called him "Dan, Dan the Tester Man," and the poor guy lived with that for years! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Nigel. That made my day! I look forward to your posts each week and you never let me down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The aroma from our cheese invades the kitchen every time I open the fridge to get the milk out. Great post Nigel, I was grinning all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed the post very much; I remember Faulty Towers, when the inspectors came. On our grazing property we had the tick inspector, in our restaurant we had the food inspector. I think is is a good profession, there was and is always work! The Canadian farmer must not have been pleased. I don't understand that the Chinese throw out the milk they could feed the pigs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the sake of accuracy only:... the photo of John Cleese is of course a little older. It's from Monty Python's Flying Circus...the Ministry of Silly Walks. It still makes me laugh uncontrollably.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2aZTN0U3M
      My teenage daughter would wonder why...such is the changing taste in humour. The Chinese reference is my spoof, a cynical reference to the Chinese baby milk scandal, actually not too funny at all....
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

      Delete
  16. This is so funny, especially the China one. I like how you did the prompt picture and link at the top too.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nigel-- you are a Kick! in all the best ways, I was entertained and learned along the way.--- and I laughed heartily.

    ReplyDelete